Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Reflection On Reading Assignment #3

For college students like us in M COM 320, chapter seven is going to be the most useful chapter in our student manual.  At our age we are constantly looking and applying for the right jobs and positions that will catapult us into the career of our dreams.  Take myself for example. In just the last year I have applied for scholarships, undergraduate majors, jobs, internships, study abroad programs, and volunteer positions.  Knowing how to properly fill out and submit a proper resume and other job application materials can do wonders for students like us.  Chapter seven gives us great advice on how to properly fill out a resume, succeed in an interview, interview others, and even how to prepare follow-up and recommendation letters.    

In the section about resumes, I really liked what it said about the traditional chronological resume format and listing the more impressive sections first.  My own personal resumes have had no structural format to them; I would just throw words on paper.  Listing the more impressive experiences and accomplishments first will help us to catch the attention of the reader before they get bored and lose interest.  It's definitely something that I am going to apply to my current resume. 

With little to no knowledge on how to properly fill out a resume, my resume looked pretty similar to the resume below!  Well, maybe not that bad.  But now that I have read chapter seven, and made a few changes to my resume, I feel like I'll have a much better chance of success when applying for jobs and other positions where a resume is requested.  The following is an example of what not to do...  


No comments:

Post a Comment