Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Reflection On Reading Assignment #1

When it comes to school, most people have specific subjects they prefer to study. For me, science and math have always been my favorite subjects. Likewise, people also seem to have subjects they hate studying. Again, for me, English has always been the one subject I hate studying. The last thing I want to do with my time is write an essay or learn grammar. I absolutely hate grammar! While reading todays grammar assignment I remembered what it was I hate about grammar so much.  I hate all the rules!

In English there are so many grammatical rules that make writing difficult and hard to master.  I have always felt that the rules of grammar are arbitrary.  Someone somewhere must have decided that we will do things a certain way, and that's just the way it is.  However, I realize English is also my worst subject, and that is probably why I hate English so much.  I am naturally very competitive, so struggling at something makes me want to veer away from it. Hopefully, by the end of this semester, I will have improved my grammatical skills and gained a greater appreciation for writing.  It is obviously a skill I lack, and one that will benefit me for the rest of my life.  Being able to express yourself and your ideas in exactly the way you want, can be a powerful tool not only in business, but in life.   

If you are like me, when it comes to learning grammar a good place to start would be the 3rd grade. Unfortunately we can't go back in time, so if you're in the same boat,  here is a daily blog I found that gives daily grammar lessons (dailygrammarlessons.blogspot.com). Check it out, it's a good place to start.        

No comments:

Post a Comment