Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Reflection On Reading Assignment #2

This weeks reading assignment covered a few basic grammatical topics, but its main focus was on composing a professional business document in a clear and organized manner.  The grammatical rules that were covered in the appendix for this weeks reading assignment were much easier concepts to grasp than last weeks.  The readings covered topics like capitalization, numbers, and tense.  I found I actually remembered these topics from elementary school and junior high.  This made for a much more enjoyable grammar lesson, leaving me feeling somewhat smart, rather than dumb and uneducated. 

What stuck with me most from the business side of things, was the idea of using OABC (Opening, Agenda, Body, Closing) when composing business documents.  I remember learning about three of the four components, but I never learned how to include an agenda.  I found this to be very useful.  In fact, today I had to write up a proposal for an experiment that I was going to be doing in one of my biology classes.  I found that using the agenda as a part of the format for my paper made it not only easier for the reader to follow my experimental design, but also for me to write out the experiment.  It was much easier for me to gather my thoughts and put them into writing.  When the agenda is prepared properly, there is a much greater chance the reader will grasp the main concepts of your message as he/she reads through the body of the paper.  I am definitely going to make OABC apart of my writing from now on, I can already see what a difference it makes.     
            

No comments:

Post a Comment